Life - I've Made a Decision, I'm Going to Morocco for One Year

5:08:00 am

If you follow me on the various social media sites you will know that I am currently living in Morocco.  The question I keep being asked is why and are you still there?  My normal response is; 'fancied a change of scenery, don't know how long for.'

Well today you have the truth.

I split up with my boyfriend, my choice but it still destroyed me.  I completely lost myself.  I stopped blogging, I didn't enjoy work as much as I used to, I was lonely.

I spent six months trying to 'get over' the situation, if you call going out every weekend night, spending time with people who are not really your friends and generally not looking after yourself properly 'getting over'.

Lester Bangs, Almost Famous, Phillip Seymour Hoffman


I lost friends, some choices, some not.  I made stronger friendships with the friends I wanted.  I was still lonely.

Having a Scottish accent in Birmingham guaranteed the question, 'How did you end up here?' always came up in conversation and I was sick of my ex being the primary reason I was there.  I wanted a new story to tell.  I needed a fresh start. 

'You can be stood in a room of one thousand people and still be lonely.'

I phoned my mum, who lives in Morocco and asked the dreaded question at twenty two years old and having lived away from home since I was 15, can I come home?  You may be thinking, but your from Scotland, yes I am.  Home will forever be wherever my Mum is.

I don't know how long I'm going to be here, could be six months, could be a year, could be forever.  I have a few different things I want to look into and luckily I have the opportunity to really think and decide what I want.

So I am here living my fresh start, no longer lonely-with a smile on my face.

Penny Lane, Penny Lane Almost Famous

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. I wish you all the best. Such a brave decision and I hear Morocco is an amazing place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave, thank you I've never looked at it like that but sometimes in life you gotta take risks, it's lovely here I'm sure ill be showing more of it soon so keep your eyes peeled ;)

      Delete
  2. I hope you have an amazing time in Morocco and find whatever it is that you need :)

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes all we need is a fresh start! Good luck :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh this is a lovely piece. I'm glad u r getting yourself together and what a place to be doing it!! I was thinking about you the other day - u were one of the first blogs I ever read xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, that's so cool that I was one of your first ;) I'm always popping in on your blog looking forward to reading all about your new arrival :) xx

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a lovely time there, being with your mum will hopefully help x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks char :) I'm sure it will, even as a grown woman your mum always gives the best hugs x

      Delete
  6. I've made a decision, I'm going to Morocco for one year.... wanna come?

    I hope you find your inner Penny my little Pea xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is great - a fresh start, even if it isn't permanent. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good on you for being brave enough to make the change - I hope you have a lovely time this year and that good things come to you :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! Really appreciate such a lovely comment x

      Delete
  10. Wow big change, but I am glad you are finding what you need in foreign climes. Good luck with everything.

    Lauren
    www.thesecitydays.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you, it has proved quite exciting yes x

      Delete
  12. Good luck! Change is always good, and who knows, maybe it can come something really amazing out of the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I'm hoping this :) really lovely comment xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk