Life - Beauty is in Your Heart, Let it Beat, Give Yourself a Treat

2:29:00 pm

At the beginning of the year, as always, I *thought* about going on some kind of diet.  It wasn't gonna be some crazy you can only eat lettuce and cucumber diet but maybe just more added fruit and vegetables in place of the less healthy options I adore, I suppose a much needed balanced routine.

After looking into it quite extensively I have decided not to go on a diet, hoorah hoorah, but to indeed manage the way I eat slightly better.  Balance is going to be a massive part of the change as it is something I really struggle with.


Some days I go all day without eating a thing and purely functioning on liquids, other days I could eat the weight of a small horse within the matter of hours, this as I'm sure you all know is not healthy on any level.  There is no structure in the way I eat and it is completely controlled by the way I am feeling.  There are three kinds of days;

1. I don't eat all day and then just pick at night or have a meal, depends how I'm feeling.    On these days even if I feel hungry I go to the fridge look and unless there is exactly what I want I won't eat anything.   I sometimes get the urge for plain things like bread, eggs, cheese but as soon as I think about cooking them I go off the idea and have a coffee or juice instead, its really strange.

2. Normal days when I eat breakfast lunch and dinner with healthy snacks, on these days I always feel more energised and get a lot more done, this in turn ensures I get a better nights sleep, I want to feel like this more often.  I enjoy cooking and love making my favourite recipes and experimenting with new ones, on days like this I will cook and have fun in the kitchen, eating included.

3. Give me all of the food days, I want everything.  I would eat breakfast lunch and dinner, snacks, snacks and more snacks.  I want take away food, chocolate, crisps, cheese, fizzy pop.
 
 
 

My god after writing that it has made me realise how unstructured my eating really is. 

Also this year I have not drank alcohol, not intentionally but in Morocco (being a Muslim country) the drinking culture is pretty much non existent.  Off course you get alcohol in hotels and restaurants and can even buy it in the supermarkets but going to the pub for one after work is replaced by coffee, man they drink a lot of coffee here.  This has been really beneficial to my skin and I have noticed a massive difference and also realised that I don't actually like the taste of alcohol and don't miss it one bit.  I think this is what kick started the interest of having a healthier and balanced diet, if my skin looks this good with no alcohol, imagine what it could look like with healthier food.

I know I eat too much pasta, cheese and bread so Id like to improve that by adding more wholewheat products and limiting my cheese intake.  Coffee, tea and fizzy pop my vices, definitely way over the caffeine limit so drinking more water would definitely be beneficial.  Hello I'm Gemma and I'm a Carb monster with a caffeine addiction.

My weight is something I have never really been happy with until now.  Well I say weight I really mean shape, I like the shape my body is at the moment but would like it more toned and I feel that the first step along with exercise to this is a more balanced diet.

In the hope to keep me focused I am going to introduce a couple of new features here,  recipe posts, food diaries and updates on how it is making me feel from the inside out.  This won't be any kind of weight loss journey(no scales in my house) but just a body improvement journey.

Beauty is in your heart, it starts from the inside.

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. I do 1 all the time. I'm glad I'm not the only one! It can be stressful when you sit down and honestly look at what you eat (or don't eat) as long as you're happy with the way you look.

    I hated not being able to drink when I was in Morocco, I felt rude even thinking about drinking. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot more people do this than you think, I'm definitely happy with the way I look, just want to improve slightly, be a better version of myself.

      I wouldn't feel rude for drinking it just hasn't been on my mind, people here do understand that drinking is a big thing in the uk so they wouldn't think it rude:)

      Delete
  2. I love having a treat at the end of the week .x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post - makes me want to sort out my eating habits too and maybe even stop drinking alcohol - probably not though!!!. I love your blog, the layout and style are really cool. I have followed and can't wait to read more. I would be really pleased if you would pop over to mine at http:www.lippylikes.com and let me know what you think xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha love the probably not, thank you very much, I'm currently in the process of designing a new layout so I would love your feedback when that happens :)

      X

      Delete
  4. I should really sort out my eating habits too. Lemonade and bread are my downfalls, too tasty to resist but I'll try harder. Good luck with your healthy eating goals Gemma :)

    Fiona @ www.dollydowsie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread is definitely one of my down falls, especially flavoured breads, olive is my favourite, oh dear now I want bread :)

      Thank you lovely xx

      Delete
  5. I have a major sweet tooth.. I know the feeling! All the best with the healthy goals! :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sweet tooth and a savory tooth lol I just love food:) Thank you lovely x

      Delete
  6. I am an 'everything in moderation' kinda gal! I have super healthy days, and usually indulgent weekends. Most importantly for me is to eat fresh!! Nothing processed, as much as you can from fresh (inc. sauces, soups, snacks) and you'll find your health and relationship with food much improved!
    Tash x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this comment Hunni, I do find that I eat a lot of fresh produce, not much else on offer here in Morocco and it's all so affordable :)

      Delete
  7. I definitely agree with the alcohol thing! I think I've drank once all year and I've just started drinking 1.5l of water a day and I can tell the difference completely

    http://alicemegan.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my next challenge, drink more water, although it is difficult here as I absolutely have to drink bottled water, the tap water makes me poorly.

      Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  8. Completely Agree! Diets are so limited...all we need is to eat healthy! ♥b

    Brittany's Secret

    ReplyDelete
  9. My pet hate is pregnant women moaning about how much weight they're gaining and being sad they can't go to the gym!! Just relax! It's only fat for god's sake haha x

    creamteaandrosejam.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Gem you crack me up, exactly and pregnant or new mothers have a perfect excuse to be carrying a little more weight than usual :)

      X

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk