Life - Being A Role Model Is A Privilege

7:00:00 pm

I have felt the need to write this post today due to the sheer dissapointment in certain member of a boyband I have had a lot of respect for and enjoyed listening to since the beginning.

This band is One Direction and the member in question is Liam Payne, you know the slightly moody one from Wolverhampton.

Basically Liam tweeted (the tweet that has now been deleted) something that Tyler Oakley(famous You Tuber incase you don't know) was a little hurt and dissapointed to see and tweeted Liam to make sure that his dissapointment was recognised.  Recognised it was and Liam responded in a way that I feel was innapropriate and unprofessional as a member of a boyband with so many young fans. 

When this happened yesterday morning I was slightly annoyed that one of One Directions biggest supporters had been accused of not being a fan purely for having an opinion.  I do not agree with either parties in the twitter spat as when it comes down to it, it is none of anyones personal business what anyone tweets BUT Tyler was just showing a personal reaction, I completely support Tyler's decision to tweet.  Liam has to be aware that he is a massive role model to many young fans and his opinions are regarded as gospel in some fans eyes.

 What has saddened me the most is the way the 'directioners', one of the most dedicated if not crazy fandoms out there, (not sure what a fandom is, Miss Charl explains it in the most upbeat way possible ) have reacted.  I logged onto twitter early yesterday afternoon to see the hashtag #cutforliam trending.  WHAT! Lets take a moment to appriciate the serverety of that hashtag.  There are fans out there self harming to show support for Liam, this to me is just outragous, what has the world come to!  A missunderstanding between two people that the fans more than likely do not know personally have affected them so deeply that they feel the need to support by cutting themselves, I can't even.  Self harming is not something to be taken lightly or publicized in such a way.  To me it looks like promoting something so taboo has become OK, which is not acceptable.

Further more one of the nicest guys on You Tube has been forced to take a break from the internet, on which he has quite a high profile, due to death threats from One Direction fanatics.   It seems to have become a tradition as such that if anyone dare hurt the feelings of someone high profile on twitter that it is the duty of their fans to send death threats and unkind words to the said person, this again is absolutely rediculous.
 
Numerous tweets later , Liam finally realised that he might get in a bit of trouble for 'cussing' but condoned that it was not uncalled for as there were much more important issues happening in the world.  If this was the case why make such a big deal about it in the first place, surely he should know by now that everything he does is instantly shoved down our (the public) faces.
 
One thing that I would love to know is the other band members opinions, oh to be a fly on the wall.

One Direction Niall Horan, Louis Tomlinson





 
Well used expressions on my face throughout this whole hugely important world event.
 
 
 
*Disclaimer*  Please take some comments within this post with a pinch of sarcasm.  I wrote this post as a way to vent out frustrations caused by such niavety.  I do not wish to offend, discriminate or hurt anyones feelings and would never intentionally cause upset to anyone.  Also I am a massive One Direction fan I think their music is uplifting, relateable and catchy but defnately not a fan of the attitude of this specific band member.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I completely agree with you on this, and the fact that 'Directioners' are now cutting for Liam is just absurd. I don't understand why people (young people particularly) get so obsessive over celebrities. It's frankly quite sad and also leads to stuff like this! argh! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you agree, i was just so shocked by the way they have acted its unbelieveable. xx

      Delete
  2. Great post, so good you are calling them out on this!
    I saw this all unravel on twitter and I was really mad at Liam and the way his idiot fans went after Tyler. Did you see the death threats and homophobic comments he was getting? It made me feel sick! All because he said his opinion! These are 13 year old girls attacking a 26 year old man - so ridiculous!
    These 'fangirls' are the most brutal virtual bullies ever and it's getting worse and 1D get even more famous. I wish their parents could see the stuff they are tweeting!
    Either 1D are really naive or plain stupid, because anything they do online is seen by millions and I hate the fact that they never accept responsibility (or even acknowledge) their fans' reckless behaviour!
    I use to like them as a band as they were always so humble, but the fact that they attack anyone with an opinion (Louis is the worst at that), makes them look so silly. It's a real shame.
    Sorry for this essay haha!
    Joelle
    xx
    FebruaryGirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly as I seen it happen I was getting more bamboozled by the minute! I seen everything, the death threats and comments about his sexuality were shocking some of the fan are not even older enough to realise the impact this would have made! Theire parents should have more control over what they are using the internet for to be honest. One Direction have been media trained so should know how to handle stuff like this better, if Liam hadn't wanted a reaction why didn't he send tyler an email, its readily available. They have acknowledged behaviour like this before when it happened but management have probably stepped in this time. I agree Louis is bad for it but I also think he gets a lot of hassle for just having a girlfriend.

      Don't worry im glad im not the only one so annoyed by it all

      xx

      Delete
  3. I find the whole directioners 'phenomenon' really quite scary. Some of them appear very unhinged. It is beyond being a fan. And I think social media makes it worse. The best thing these boys could do is delete their twitter accounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its very scary, I do love them but this whole 'fandom' thing is terrifying, its just going to get worse.x

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk