Beauty - MAC Quad Eyeshadow Palette Review

3:49:00 pm

Mac eye shadows were something I could never walk past without having a look and covering my hand(s) in swatches but for a long time the number of colours just overwhelmed me and I could never decide which to buy.  This was until last summer when I visited the Mac store on Canon Street, Birmingham.

Having just dyed my hair from brown to a more daring plum, I wanted shades that would work well with my hair and compliment my green eyes. As soon as I set eyes on the eyeshadow stand I was drawn to purples, lilacs and deep aubergines. 

After browsing independently for a few moments I was approached by a very welcoming sales assistant, I explained what I was looking for and she brought my attention to a range of different shades,  the lady was so helpful and gave me the best service I had ever experienced in a Mac store.  I eventually, after much deliberation,  choose four shades.

MAC cosmetics build your own eyeshadow palette


Mac eyeshadows Phloof, Stars 'n ' Rockets, Fig 1, Nocturn-Elle

I feel that the four colours I chose compliment each other well and can be used separately for a more simplistic look or together for something more dramatic. 

Phloof - I choose this off white shimmery shade for use as a base, blender and for highlighting the inner corner and brow bone.  I find it works very well for all of these uses and needs very little blending to get my desired finish.  One thing that confirmed that this had to be in my palette was the name, it makes me giggle.

Fig 1 - This is the only matte shade I chose for this quad and with good reason too, I mainly chose this to mix with my usual brow powder to match the colour of my hair better, since getting this home I have used it for my eyebrows most days but also as a definer and crease colour.  Being a matte formula it takes slightly more work to blend when using it on the eyelid and is the only shade in my palette with any fall out,  but that was to be expected being a matte shade. 

Nocturn-Elle - I love this colour so much, described as a pinked up chrome purple on the Mac website, I couldn't describe it better.  I love creating a purple smokey eye using this in the crease and along the bottom lash line.  The shimmer isn't too much but perfect to give a look more dimension.  I love the way this blends so effortlessly.

Stars N' Rockets - I had seen this in so many blogs and You Tube tutorials before I had swatched it in store and as soon as it was on my skin I new it had to be mine, it was the first colour I chose for my palette, all the other colours were chosen to compliment this.  I would describe it as a light purple with an iridescent shimmer running through it.  What I love most about this colour is how build able it is, one layer will create a subtle hint of colour but with two layers it becomes really eye catching.
 
All of the shades are beautifully pigmented and a delight to use, although creating this quad has left me with a big problem!  I now have a wish list for so many other shades.  The five that are at the top of that wish list are; satin taupe, sketch, coppering, cranberry and expensive pink, but those will have to wait until my next visit to the UK.

Which Mac eye shadows do you own?  If you have blogged about your Mac shadows/palettes please leave me the links below I would love to read them.

As always thanks for reading

Gemma
x


You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Fig 1 is one of my favourites too. Great quad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely, Fig 1 is not something I would have bought alone, but it definately fits this palette perfectly x

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous colours, I love purples! Satin Taupe and Sketch are my two favourites and they're stunning!

    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooohh im so desperate to get my hands on Satin Taupe! So simple yet so verstile x

      Delete
  3. fab colours :) great review love the phloof shadow great highlight shade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloe, I was surprised at how subtle it can be as a brow highlight, not too shimmery if used lightly x

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Im so glad it photographed as well as it did, its even more stunning in the flesh.:)

      Delete
  5. Nocturn-Elle and Stars N'Rockets are so pretty! I've only got three MAC shadows (all browns) definitely adding these two to my list to buy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe you only have three shadows! Get that collection growing mrs;) xx

      Delete
  6. I thinks its impossible not to like them :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so gorgeous! I love the shades :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, which shades do you own? xxx

      Delete
  8. These shades are beautiful!! <3 Ps did you notice you are on 666 followers :-O oh noo, hope someone else comes along to follow soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did been on the same for ages, devil numbers lol So nice to see you back blogging <3

      Delete
  9. Stop making me want things ¬_¬ Your swatches just show the colours off perfectly. And I'm not even an eyeshadow fan. I just want these so much. Love your detail and photography!

    Kerry x
    dulltoglam.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment really made me smile, thanks Kerry. I really struggle with photographs and never think they look good enough so its nice of you to say they are nice, xx

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk