Fashion - Finding the Perfect Little Black Dress to Suit My Body Shape*

2:58:00 pm

Ladies, don't we spend at least half of our lives searching for the perfect Little Black Dress to suit our body shapes, okay that was a slight exaggeration but it sure feels like it sometimes.  Everytime I trail the high street looking for a new dress I always try to get something with a bit of colour and purchase from a different high street store, the success rate for this is currently non existent.  I always end up back in the store I can trust, New Look and in a colour I can trust, black.  When they contacted me to get involved with part of their latest campaign The Little Black Dress I accepted without a second thought. 

The little black dress is an iconic part of fashion, everyone knows what the letters  LBD stand for and every lady I know has one in her wardrobe.  The great thing about a little black dress is the style can be completely personalised to everyone's unique body shapes.  I have a couple of outfit posts coming up very soon with two of my favourite LBD's ever, very soon, you will not be surprised to know one of them is from New Look.  However today I want to share with you my most admired pieces, from my favourite high street store at the moment, as the ones I have are sadly no longer available online or in store.  By pushing the boundaries as to what shapes suits each body type, I have discovered four dress styles from the New Look Inspire SS14 range, that I feel are very versatile.

I just want to put it out there that from much deliberation and research I believe I have an hourglass figure.  I have come to this conclusion as my body is in quite good proportion large bust, large bum and thighs and smaller waist and décolletage.  I am slightly above the UK average size 14-16. Ranging from a 14-16-18 on top with a 38F bust and a 16-18-20 on my bottom half but it completely depends on where I am shopping.
fashion, plus size fashion, Finding the perfect Little Black Dress for Your Body Shape, New Look, New Look Fashion, New Look Plus Size Range, New Look Inspire Range, skater dresses

 The Skater Dress is one of my favourite styles of dresses, the fitted waist and skirt that flares out into an A-line silhouette (reminiscent of a figure skating outfit—hence the name!), are just so flattering on my shape and comfortable to wear.  I like that they extenuate my waist, magically making my chest look more lifted and hide my problem tummy area whilst sitting just below my bottom.  Sometimes the length of skater dresses can be a little too short for me and everytime I bend down you can just about see my bum, although slightly cheeky I always have tights on so it doesn't look ridiculous and I am decently covered.  They say Skater Dresses are best suited to pear shapes or tall ladies but I love the way these sit on me, I would say they are suitable for all body shapes.

fashion, plus size fashion, Finding the perfect Little Black Dress for Your Body Shape, New Look, New Look Fashion, New Look Plus Size Range, New Look Inspire Range, Mini Dresses 
Now this one makes me feel slightly less comfortable, the Mini Dress.  Only recently have I even considered wearing a dress of this shape because all you ever read is that Mini Dresses are for small and petite woman, two things I have never been.  Well I disagree, give me a good piece of shape wear and I'll gladly get into one of these tighter shapes.  A Mini Dress with long sheer sleeves was my outfit of choice on Christmas Eve 2013 and I felt so feminine, sexy and sophisticated, yes you can be all three of these things at the same time,  don't worry I will be featuring it here in the future.

fashion, plus size fashion, Finding the perfect Little Black Dress for Your Body Shape, New Look, New Look Fashion, New Look Plus Size Range, New Look Inspire Range, swing dresses
Emma Millard from Meet the Millards  was the lady who convinced me to try a Swing Dress for the first time, she wears a lot of these on her you tube channel and always looks so well put together and her curvy shape is dressed to perfection.  Being honest when I seen these on the high street I used to just walk past them, expecting them to make my curvy figure look shapeless.  It was a welcome surprise the day I eventually tried one on, they are incredibly flattering on my least favourite areas, bum, tum and thighs.  Swing Dresses are normally recommended to those with more of an apple body shape but I have seen them on many different shapes and sizes and love how flattering they are on.

fashion, plus size fashion, Finding the perfect Little Black Dress for Your Body Shape, New Look, New Look Fashion, New Look Plus Size Range, New Look Inspire Range, maxi dressesMaxi Dresses are 'my thing' at the moment, especially this type that the creators behind the Inspire Plus Size Range have embraced.  Normally I wouldn't count a Maxi dress as a classic Little Black Dress but because these have the tighter under layer and a sheer outer layer I think they can pass for one.  I wore one very similar, from the Tokyo Doll range available from New Look, last weekend as I enjoyed a couple of days luxury break at Sofitel Essouira, Morocco.  I felt like a modern day Grecian goddess with a tiny bit of sex appeal but appropriately covered being in a Muslim country.  More commonly shorter girls with boyish figures suit Maxi Dresses the most as it gives the illusion of a more feminine silhouette.  The sheer long outer fabric of this dress makes it much more suitable for most body shapes, making shape of Maxi Dresses are the perfect in my opinion, I hope they stay on trend for a while.

I now have the difficult task of which dress I should choose to spend my vouchers on, Which one of these dresses catch your eye the most?

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. I love the middle dress in the mini section and the maxi dress on the right. Can never go wrong with a plain simple black dress like the one on the left in the mini section and dress it up with jewelry and heals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lace swing dress, good for some taller figures, all the skater dresses are cute, even a shorty like me gives a flash of bum in these, more the shape than length. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think skater dresses would suit me, but I bought a black one from New Look last year and it's gorgeous, I've worn it loads :)

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper | An Undomestic Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the sasme shape/ size. I love skater dresses too, the A line is what I need for my mahoosive bum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gemma, what lovely picks! I'm going of the skater ones, I think they would suit me best. In fact, I bought one from New Look a month ago and it was my first LBD <3

    xx Donah @ SweetJellyBean.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Skater and swing dresses are my favourite styles. I am petite and pear shaped so I rarely wear styles that hug my bottom half. Since skater dresses are usually shorter in length as well I don't have to go looking for the petite section.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this post! I must agree I love skater and maxi dresses, minis make me look hideous!
    www.shemightbeloved.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog! I just found it through the UK bloggers page on Facebook and will definitely be a regular reader :)

    I can't wait till I give birth (due 12th April) so I can get back into my LBD's although I do have a maternity BD (there won't be anything L about it lol) coming for me to review so that's exciting :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love skater dresses on me, they are very flattering. Thanks for the great post!

    www.thediaryofajewellerylover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this post. I've been looking for something to find out what dress would suit me. I'm not the slimiest of people for my age so I've not been confident about things like this. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk