Life - Mother's Day Lunch Idea from Nicole at Pretty Cheap Eats

6:00:00 pm

Today I am out and about with my friend who has come to visit, so I am leaving you in the trusty hands of Nicole,  the writer of one of my new favourite blogs to read, I hope you enjoy her culinary delights as much as I do

My name is Nicole, budding chef, mother and wife. Food is my passion, I live, breath and dream food. I wasn't aware of my obsession until family and friends told me they were fed up of me talking about and shoving food in their faces 18-7.  I left my job in Administration to begin a career in food. I am currently training to become a Nutritionist as I want to provide the public with healthy meal ideas on a budget that doesn't consist of just beans and toast. I also find great pleasure in exploring my creativity with what I can produce on a slightly bigger budget and bubbling all over with ideas to fill this blog with tried and tested creations from food for the family, dinner parties or that intimate meal for two. My family are my greatest critics and I am always aiming to please.. So what started off as posting photos on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter has led me to creating my own blog Pretty Cheap Eats, writing about food and publishing recipes.

Three Pepper Sauce Chicken and Potato salad

Mothers day is coming up  and what better way to show you love her by serving up a little paradise on  a plate to usher in the arrival of spring
This dish is inspired by the classic potato salad . I like to make it with salad potatoes and added peppers to give it a brighter colour (plate appeal).Natural yogurt is used, with a bit of mayonnaise, to counter the heat from the spiced pepper sauce on chicken thighs and its less calories...double win :-).
The three pepper sauce was inspired by a peri- peri/jerk style marinade that reminds me of the flavours of my mothers cooking from a long ago childhood.

For the Three Pepper Chicken

4 Chicken thighs at room temperature
salt to taste
 
 Pepper sauce:
3 medium sweet peppers
2 bell peppers, red and green, halved  (save the other halves for the potato salad)
1 red birdseye chilli (de-seeded if heat is your enemy)* 
2 garlic cloves
2 spring onions/scallions trimmed
Half red onion
1 half lime squeezed
lime zest from 1/4 of the lime.
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 small handful of fresh coriander
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce 
50ml water
 
Pre heat the oven to 200 C Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and pulse to a small dice type of  paste, try not to let it become too smooth. (If you do not have a blender, small dice all the vegetables, crush the garlic and place in a large zip lock bag and pound the heck out of it. When done add the liquid ingredient to it and shake to mix well.) Pour into a oven proof dish an set to one side. Place the chicken thighs skin side down in a smoking frying pan on a high heat. Season with salt. When the skin becomes crisp and a dark golden, turn the thighs over and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and place on top of the pepper sauce in the oven proof dish. Place the chicken in the oven and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked but not dried out.

For the Potato salad

A bag of salad potatoes and cut into bite size pieces
2 halves of bell peppers red and  green, diced
2 spring onions, sliced
1 carrot thinly sliced, grated or julienne
1 garlic glove crushed
Small handful of coriander
salt
Dressing
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp mayonnaise
200g heaped tbsp natural set yogurt
1 tsp mustard
half lime juice
2 tsp sugar 
black pepper to taste
 
Cut the larger potatoes into bite size pieces. Boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked. Allow to cool  in ice  cold water to stop the cooking process . Mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, thyme and sugar and splash of lime to form a smooth dressing.
When they are cool enough to handle transfer the potatoes to a salad bowl. Add all the vegetables to the potatoes together with the crushed garlic.Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir gently to coat it all . Serve up with the three pepper sauce chicken.

 
*Please use latex gloves or wash hands thoroughly after handling the insides of peppers as they can irritation to sensitive areas when touched *
 
What will you be treating your Mum to, this Mothering Sunday?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Food looks great! wish I was better at cooking.
    You should do more cooking posts on your blog :)

    Sophie
    xx
    www.pocockins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk