Life - The Only Time to Eat 'diet' Food is While Your Waiting for the Steak to Cook

1:15:00 pm

How long should I cook a steak for?, How to cook the perfect steak, What seasoning should I use for steak, What side dishes would work well with steak?,
How long should I cook a steak for?, How to cook the perfect steak, What seasoning should I use for steak, What side dishes would work well with steak?,
How long should I cook a steak for?, How to cook the perfect steak, What seasoning should I use for steak, What side dishes would work well with steak?,
 I have always really enjoyed cooking and any opportunity I get I'm straight in the kitchen, since I moved to Morocco I have had the luxury of a lot of spare time on my hands and I felt no better way to use some of them spare moments to embrace my love of delicious food.

Anytime I go out for a meal steak is often the first thing that catches my eye from the menu, I like it cooked medium/rare teamed with a generous helping of chips and a creamy sauce.  I often find that the steak can be cooked just under or over so decided to create the perfect steak at home and see how mine compared.

To ensure your steak is the best it can be I would recommend visiting your local butchers, the quality is always so much better than supermarket packaged meat, you can choose exactly which cut you would like and helping out local business' is much more beneficial to our disappearing high streets.  For this meal, in all honesty I'm unsure of the cut as even managing to ask the butcher for it, in French may I add, was quite a task, I would say it is closest to a fillet.

I always take my steak out of the fridge at least six hours prior to cooking and keep at room temperature uncovered, this helps all the juices to make their way back into the meat, this ensures the steak will be very succulent and juicy.  Think of a sponge, when you squeeze it out it is dry and light when you add water is fuller and moist(sorry for use of that word it creeps me out as much as you)

Seasoning is the make or break for me when it comes to a deliciously flavoured steak, nothing fancy just salt and pepper.  To make sure your steak doesn't dry out just add a pinch of salt and pepper a second before cooking, adding salt before this point will dry out your steak.  Put half a teaspoon of oil in the pan and turn the heat on, make sure the pan is very hot before putting your steak in, you can tell it is hot enough when the oil starts to smoke slightly.  Pop in a knob of butter and allow to melt, this helps to brown the outside of the steak and your pan is now prepared for the steak.

Cooking steak is actually really simple.  Depending on how you like it cooked timing is key.  For the perfect rare steak, meaning only the outside is cooked and the meat inside is still very pink all the way through, two minutes on each side is plenty.  If you prefer your steak medium a good four minutes each side will make sure the meat is mostly cooked with just a small area in the middle still pink.  Well done steaks in my eye are a crime, what is the point in overcooking a gorgeous piece of meat, but some people prefer it this way and cook theirs for around six to eight minutes each side.  Medium/rare is my preference so I cook for 3 minutes each side.

After your steak is cooked leave to rest for a few moments, this helps make sure your steak is juicy and tender, not for too long, just while your are loading your plate with your favourite accompaniments.  For this meal I decided to serve my perfectly cooked steak with homemade chips, grilled mushrooms, home made onion rings and blue cheese sauce.

Sauces to steak are what perfume and aftershave is to us ladies and gents, not necessary but a delightful addition.  There are so many different flavours that work well with steak from Diane (creamy mushroom), blue cheese (creamy Stilton), Peppercorn (creamy with peppercorns) or if you wanna get fancy Jack Daniels Glaze.  I only chose a blue cheese sauce this time because we had some lying in the fridge but I would normally choose peppercorn.  If you would like recipes for any of the sauces please let me know in the comments, they are very easy to make but always good to know.

There you have your perfect steak with yummy side dish options, I'd like to leave you with the only question asked when discussing steak,

How do you like it cooked?

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. In response to your question, I like it cooked as chicken, I can't stand steak >.< Haha
    Ellie,xx
    Elephant stories and more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love steak that is cooked by my brother! He takes pride in his cooking/grilling and they come out great everytime! He always experiments with seasonings etc. I prefer mine cooked medium well more
    to the well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steak... Steak... hmmm .(thinking). I love food but beef and I seem to have a love hate relationship. The only steak you will find near my plate is a rib-eye and it has to be medium rare too. Funny We was talking about this at work and there was a divide on steak being cremated or medium rare. A well done steak is basically a pot roast.. IMO lol . It has to be a quality hunk of meat (so don't get to eat it often unless there is a yellow reduction sticker on it from the supermarkets but that defeats the object ha) and that can be costly. oh it should be British beef too, once I had Welsh rib-eye whilst visiting the in laws... wth... never again. Then it has to be cooked in a smoking griddle pan after being slathered in olive oil and a bit of steak seasoning.Now pork steak.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmm mm. Love it. I could eat it every day. Pork is my FAVOURITE meat...

    Nicole xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also forgot that I like to cook it for 3 mins on both sides and turn only once... just once x

      Delete
  4. My steak has to be blue, as if it is almost still mooing otherwise I can't eat it x
    Beautyqueenuk xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steak looks yummy :) haha good post

    Sophie
    Xx
    www.pocockins.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just made me salivate! I looooooove steak and most importantly I love it rare. I find it awful when people have it almost burnt as it doesn't taste of anything anymore. Must get some steak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooo that post has made me verrry hungry! I absolutely adore steak, medium rare with a steak Diane sauce mmmm. This is why I will never be able to diet or be a vegetarian. I loved your comment about sauces being to steaks what perfumes are to us ladies! Great post hun xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love steak and I love blue cheese! If I have some in the fridge I often sprinkle some blue cheese on the top of my medium rare steak - so I would love to know how to make the blue cheese sauce!

    elliebbeauty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good steak. I prefer medium rare, but it's only well done while I'm pregnant :(
    http://zenas-suitcase.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk