My Lip Care Routine and Top Lip Balm Picks

11:44:00 am


So with the winter weather well and truly creeping up on us I have started to notice my skin and lips getting a lot dryer and before it gets any worse I have taken some drastic action and introduced a high level of lip care into my daily routine. 
In this post I will include mini reviews on the products I am using to keep my lips in the best condition I can during the colder months, because lets face it there is nothing worse than applying lipstick to chapped and cracked, dry lips. 
So this is how I keep my lips, lipstick happy.
 
Step 1
Every morning after I have brushed my teeth I lightly brush my lips, removing any loose dry skin.

Step 2
After removing the surface dry skin with the first step, I use a sugar lip scrub to remove the more stubborn dry skin.  The rubbing of the sugar scrub brings the blood to the surface making your lips appear plumper too and in turn smoother.  The sugar scrub I have been using recently is the,

Lush Bubblegum Sugar Lip Scrub £5.25
This lip scrub has been raved about on many blogs I read so I bought it to see what the fuss was about.  As this is the first lip scrub I have ever used I have nothing to compare it to.  The first thing that caught my eye was the colour, pink being my favourite colour this pleased me no end.  The first day I used this I was unsure what to expect but I did expect it to be a little bit more sticky, this crumbles when you pinch a bit between your fingers. As you rub this into your lips it tastes delicious, most of the sugar eventually melts into your lips and I can't resist but to lick my lips.  I rinse the excess sugar from around my lips with warmwater but can sometimes be left with an oily patch on my face where the sugar has been,  which worries me slightly incase this caused a breakout.  This product does the job I need it to at the moment but once it is finished I will be on the hunt for a new lip scrub that stays more together during the scrubbing. 

Step 3
Now my lips are all smooth I treat them to a generous helping of mango, mango lip butter that is.

The Body Shop Mango Lip Butter £4
I love the lip butters from The Body Shop they are so nourishing and smell delicious, I love lipbalms that are highly scented and the smell of mango is just devine.  I use this one in the morning as it requires your finger to apply and these can be messy to apply during the day so this one is kept in my make up drawer. I love the packaging of these as it is just a mini of the famous body butters. These last longer on the lips than any lipbalm I have ever used which is perfect when im walking to work with the wind battering on my face. I will repurchase this again and again but I might try out the different flavours.
 
When im at work or out and about I prefer my lipbalms that do not require you to use your finger to apply, this is more convenient and quick for throughout the day.  I use two different products, they are both extremely similar with two very different price tags.
 
Palmer's Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Lip Butter £2.89
This is my newest lip product so I have only been using it for a couple of days, it is the one I keep in my work locker.  I love the feel of this on my lips as it is extremely smooth but slightly more glossy than I like of a lip balm, although the would be great on top of a lipstick.  It smells so yummy the chocolate minty smell reminds me of After Eight after dinner mints and we always have them at Chirstmas, so for me this is very festive.  Im not sure if I would repurchase this yet as I have only been using it for a few days but first impressions are good.
 
 
Elemis Fresh Skin Loving Lips Balm £7.99
I have been using this on and off since March and it is still got lots left, the feeling on your lips is very similar to the Palmers Lip Butter but the finish it more of a balm finish and less glossy which I love.  It is scented with peppermint and is very refreshing on the lips. The packaging of this is very professional looking with the silver finish lid.I keep this in my handbag so I always have this with me when im not in the house. Due to the price I doubt I will repurchase this again as I can get the palmers one which is pretty much the same with the added scent of chocolate.  This is part of the Elemis Fresh Skin Range which I have reviewed in full here
 
I repeat steps 1-3 again in the evening while removing my make up using the same products.  When in bed and just about to go to sleep my night time lip balm is a classic.  I apply it right before I go to sleep and before the morning it has dissapearing and soaked right into my lips. The reason I use this at night is because I have to use my finger to apply but with the extra little bits that are left on my finger I apply to my lashline, this is meant to nourish your lashes and promote growth.  How could I write a post about lipcare and not mention Vasaline, that would be a crime to beauty.
 
Vasaline Lip Therapy Cocoa Butter £1.99
This is one of the classics when it comes to lip care, vasaline has been around for so long and other companies have tryed to copy the formula but never got it quite the same, even after all the different lipbalms and butters I have tryed this is one I need to keep in my collection and always have a tub. This was the first time I tryed the cocoa butter one and it is definately my favourite due to the beautiful cocoa scent, it is just gorgeous.  This is my ultimate lipblam and I will repurchase again and again.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post and although it was long was able to give you some helpful tips.
 
What is your lip saviour?
 
Lots of Love
 
Gem
 
xxx

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Mmmm Mango Lip Butter sounds lurvely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this, I've been really suffering with chapped lips and picked up great tips from your post! Thanks! xx

    http://www.ferdies-place.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww dont thank me sweet, thank the products lol Hoe your lips are enjoying pampering now :)

      Delete
  3. I use a Betty Buff lip scrub and I've got a selection of lip balms too, including Balance Me, The Body Shop and Figs & Rouge. I have one on my bedside table, one in my handbag and keep one at work!! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh iv been reading sooo much about the Betty Buff lip scrubs think I will definately be purchasing when my lush one is finished :) A lipbalm everywhere just like me xx

      Delete
  4. Ahhh I keep seeing the LUSH lip scrub everywhere I need to get my hands on it pronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Id reccomend trying the Betty Buff ones first Iv heard amazing things about them xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on my blog, I really love getting comments from my readers and aim to reply within 24 hours. If you would like an instant reply please tweet me @gemmabutton or email me at buttonblogger@yahoo.co.uk